Thrombocytopenia – Low Platelets Count
Thrombocytopenia – A disorder in which amount of platelets becomes low in your blood. Sometimes abnormal bleeding occurs in this situation. A normal human platelet count ranges from 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per microlitre of blood. Less than 150,000 platelets per microliter of blood generally assume to low platelets count.
Thrombocytopenia may increase the risk of Bleeding from :
But if these count reduce to below 10,000 platelets per microliter, this may cause internal bleeding which might lead to death of not cured properly. In few cases, this bleeding may occur in brain. So, if you feel headache or some neurological disorder immediately contact your doctor.
Cause of low platelets count :
- Decreased platelet production by the bone marrow
- Certain types of cancer
- Regular use of certain medications
- Vitamins deficiencies like Vitamin B12 & folic acid
- Viral infections like human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), Epstein-Barr virus, and chicken pox
- Exposure to chemotherapy, radiation, or toxic chemicals
- Excessive Alcohol intake
- Kidney failure
- Dengue Fever
- Cardiac bypass surgery
- Leukemia or an immune system problem
- If spleen holds on to too many platelets. Spleen – An organ that normally stores about one-third of the body’s platelets. It also helps your body fight infection and remove unwanted cell material.
Symptoms of Thrombocytopenia :
- Bruising – red, purple, or brown
- Rashes with small red or purple dots
- Bleeding from wounds which doesn’t stop on its own or takes much time to blood clot.
- You feel tired and fatigued.
- Red or pink colored urine
- Blood in vomit or sputum
- Dizziness, constant headache or blurred vision
- Bleed from your gums, especially when brushing your teeth
- Heavy vaginal bleeding
- Bleeding from nose
- Bleeding from the rectum
Treatment for Thrombocytopenia (Medications) :
After analyzing the cause of Thrombocytopenia doctors go for :
- Transfusions blood or platelet
- Chang of medications that are causing low platelet count
- Drugs to boost immunity
- Splenectomy – the surgical removal of the spleen which holds too many platelets.
- Immune globulin
- Corticosteroids to block platelet antibodies
Precaution you must take if you have low blood platelets :
- Aviod sports and exercises
- Avoid activities which cause high risk of bleeding or bruising
- Stop alcohol consumption
- Stop taking medications that affect platelets, like aspirin and ibuprofen destroy your platelets rapidly
- Use a soft bristle toothbrush to clean your teeth
- Avoid any type of surgery like dental etc.
- Prevent constipation. You may take anema if required.
- Use a water-based lubricant during sexual intercourse to reduce the chance of bleeding.
In short, do not do anything that can cause external or internal bleeding so that no more platelets reduced from body. If in case bleeding occurs externally then clean with water and press with a clean cloth for 5 min.
See how to cure low platelets count or ITP at home.