Reasons for the color change Some people have very light or whiter shades in their teeth, others have a naturally occurring yellowish tint to their teeth. First we must find out the natural color of your teeth. We can then work with a dental-health professional to find the cause for the color change or here are some home remedies to brighten your teeth in a natural way. Reasons for yellow teeth are :
- Intake of foods like blueberries, curry, soy sauce and drinks like coffee, tea, cola, red wine, dark beer, especially those contains acid
- Tobacco smoking or chewing habbit
- Poor dental hygiene
- Dental materials, such as the color of restorative material that may show through the translucent appearance of the enamel
- Intake of Supplements containing iron
- Overuse of prescription mouthwash which contains chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride
- People who had fluoride due to unusually high levels in the water, or through the consistent and intentional ingestion of fluoride from toothpaste and/or mouthwash.
- Medications that may include antihistamines, antipsychotics, and those used to control high blood pressure.
- Age contributes to wear and tear of your teeth. If you are a relatively young 45 years of age, your teeth, over time, experience a thinning of the enamel. As a result, they will more closely reflect the natural color of the dentin inside the enamel.
Preventing discoloration :
Avoid extrinsic causes of stains.
Brush your teeth after meals to help you remove the buildup of staining foods or drinks.
Daily flossing also decrease bacterial buildup between teeth, while improving your overall dental health.
There are many options like bleaching, non-bleaching agents, bonding and veneers.